The Global Ocean Science Education Workshops are sponsored and facilitated by the international Consortium for Ocean Science Exploration and Engagement (COSEE), the UNESCO Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, and the College of Exploration. A key outcome of the 2016 workshop has been the establishment of five international working groups focused on:
- Workforce development to support the Blue Economy (including graduate education)
- Development of common messages and communication tools
- Development of an online platform for the purpose of sharing education resources and information about people and projects
- Development of resources and programs for policymakers and other stakeholders
- Establishing collaborations to support World Ocean Day
The 2017 GOSE Workshop will focus on forging new connections within the global marine community. The goals are to:
- Bring together the ocean science, education, policy and business sectors;
- Foster the work of the five international working groups;
- Initiate the development of a certificate course for business leaders and policymakers; and
- Provide a forum to discuss coastal resilience and share examples of resilient cities.
The GOSE Workshop is the only platform of its kind, bringing together the ocean science, education, policy, and business sectors to improve ocean science education across the globe.