The Ocean Conference, co-hosted by the Governments of Kenya and Portugal, comes at a critical time as the world is strengthening its efforts to mobilize, create and drive solutions to realize the 17 Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. As one of the first milestones of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ newly launched Decade of Action for the Sustainable Development Goals, the Conference will propel much needed science-based innovative solutions aimed at starting a new chapter of global ocean action.
Participation in the conference is open to the following groups:
- States Members of the United Nations
- Members of the specialized agencies and parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
- Intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions and other international bodies
- Associate members of the regional commissions
- Organizations and bodies of the United Nations
- Non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector and philanthropic organizations.
For further details on the conference, including the invited speakers list, programme and background activities, please visit the conference website.