This activity aims to engage stakeholders in discussing, defining, and informing scientists about their research priorities to fulfill their needs concerning knowledge of Marine Forests in Europe. It will benefit from co-funding by a consortium of Euromarine members that are working together in a Biodiversa project (MARFOR) about European Marine Forests. This initiative focuses on marine forests, ecosystem structuring species of large brown algae, to understand geographical variation in biodiversity components that affect fitness and consequently the fate and future trajectories of these keystone ecosystems.
Three major societal challenges will be improved by MARFOR:
Challenge 2) Food Security, Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry, Marine, Maritime and Inland Water Research and the Bioeconomy;
Challenge 5) Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials; and
Challenge 6) Europe in a changing world - inclusive, innovative and reflective societies.
The results of this activity will be used to outline the development of web resources: containing scientific information relevant for managers and other relevant stakeholders such as aquaculture companies, and also aimed at the ecotourism public that visit Marine Protected Areas and for public education about marine forests.
The information gained during this activity will be used to start the planning of:
1) a booklet for educational purposes to raise the knowledge about European coastal ecosystem vulnerability;
2) white papers to assist the blue seaweed economy, marine managers working on protected areas and policy makers;
3) a crowdsourcing initiative whereby citizens participate in mapping and monitoring marine forests in Europe.
Update - registration and participation
This activity will be organised as special stakeholder meetings as side events attached to other meetings.
These events are as follows:
- event 1 - workshop MARFOR in Faro, Portugal, with all Biodiversa-MARFOR partners and 11 external organizations, 15 - 16 Feb 2017 (participation by video-conference is also possible)
- event 2 - aquaculture stakeholders event at global Biodiversa meeting in Brussels, 4-5 April 2017
- event 3 - MARFOR conservation and management stakeholders meeting in Roscoff, June 2 2017
- event 4 - aquaculture stakeholders event at the Congress of the international society for applied phycology, in Nantes, 21 Jun 2017 (sponsored jointly by euromarine-MARFOR and COST-Phycomorph)
Interested participants are asked to email Ester Serrão in advance of the event (eserraoualg [dot] pt).