In 2021 EuroMarine is organising a slate of distinct, parallel calls:
- A call for proposals of Foresight Workshops
- A call for application for individual fellowships (this call)
- A call for proposals to organise a EuroMarine Summer School on Ocean Transformation (targeting summer 2022)
- A call for nominations for the PEARL Working Group (nominees should be recently retired marine researchers)
- A call for topics for EuroMarine Podcasts (this is a non-competitive, volunteer-driven trial)
The general terms of these calls have been preannounced on 18 May 2021.
Overview - Call for Fellowship Applications
Following the example of previous years, in 2021 EuroMarine will grant individual fellowships to enable EuroMarine PhD students or individuals holding a post-doctoral position within 5 years of their PhD degree to attend a career and research benefitting activity of their choice. This year, EuroMarine has expanded the eligible courses to include training courses, workshops (including EuroMarine foresight workshops), participation in field work and sampling campaigns. Applicants will be expected to describe how their selected course, workshop, field study or sampling campaign will benefit their career and research development.
Evaluation Procedure: Proposals will be assessed by the EuroMarine early career researcher group, OYSTER.
Funding will be subject to official acceptance onto the course and will be granted by EuroMarine and OYSTER through the EuroMarine Association.
- Call Opens: 26 May 2021
- Deadline for Submissions: 30 June 2021
- Results Announced: 15 July 2021
ACTIVITIES - ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Training courses, workshops (including EuroMarine foresight workshops), participation in field work and sampling campaigns.
- Training courses and workshops may be in-person or e-learning/online.
- There is no limit to the duration of the activity, but it must run and be completed between 15 July 2021 and 30 November 2022.
APPLICANTS - ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Young scientists: PhD students or scholars holding a post-doctorate position within 5 years of their PhD (excepting for time spent on maternity, illness or other non-holiday leave) contract are eligible for this funding.
- The young scientist must be a student or employee of a EuroMarine full Member Organisation (having committed to pay its 2021 contribution to the EuroMarine budget) or an Invited Member from one of the following countries: Morocco, Peru, South Africa, Tunisia, or Turkey.
- Only one application per individual per call. There is no limit on how many young scientists per organisation can apply but a maximum of three individuals from any one organisation can be awarded grants in any one call round.
Applications must be submitted by email to fellowshipseuromarinenetwork [dot] eu. All applications will receive a confirmation email acknowledging submission. If a confirmation is not received within 3 working days, please send a follow-up e-mail to ensure your application was received.
- Applicants must write an application letter (no more than 1.5 A4 pages) justifying why they should receive funding to attend their targeted training activity. The letter should cover the following aspects:
- How the activity relates to and supports you in your marine research career;
- How your participation is in line with EuroMarine objectives;
- How you will recognise and promote the fact that EuroMarine helped fund your participation; and
- How you will share knowledge with colleagues in your own institution about your experience.
- Applicants must complete and sign a declaration form (see document below). Please note:
- Applicants are required to contact their EuroMarine Member Organisation representative to approve their application prior to submission and have their supervisor/manager or EuroMarine Member Organisation representative countersign the declaration. The official EuroMarine Member Organisation representatives and their contact details can be found here.
- A scanned copy of the signed declaration form should be attached to the application email.
Funding is conditional on acceptance to and participation in the activity.
For more information on the call procedures, application requirements, application assessment and selection, and engagement conditions, please see the key documents below.